Things I’ve Done While Not On Tumblr
Hey! It’s been awhile. Here’s what I’ve been up to:
- A lot of napping. See the photo above. That’s Theo’s powdered donut impression, and it’s uncanny.
- I redesigned my website. Chances are that you have ever even seen it, so it’s here.
The old site didn’t link to my writing, just book-design stuff because I hadn’t given enough thought to how to represent both. Having this resolved is one of the best things I’ve ever done for myself, other than buying CDs and videos at Kim’s Video in the east village or, I don’t know, eating kale.
- I moved! Since moving here twelve years ago, I’ve lived in Williamsburg, Bushwick, Sunset Heights, Brooklyn Heights, and now, Park Slope. This means I’m eligible for a free latte or a tattoo, or a tattoo of a free latte.
- I submitted my book to an agent. For the last five or so years, I’ve been writing a children’s book and, other than keeping track of all the revising, sending it out is one of the hardest things I’ve had to do. I’m getting ready to do it again.
- I started a new project, that I’m very excited about, but likely won’t be finished for at least another month. It’s a new kind of thing for me, but also an old kind of thing. Let me explain …
When I first moved to New York in 2000, my first job was typesetting books for a small publishing house. In my spare time, I made little zines of my writing, and friends’ writing, and it was a lot of fun. But then something happened, and I just kind of stopped doing that. I wanted to do writing or design, or at least, I wanted my design clients to think I was serious and not just dabbling in vanity projects. I’d also been on a job hunt and was kind of eager for any me-related Google searches to lead to a very earnest and employable young man.
The thing is, that’s just not any fun. And once you get used to trying to not do things it’s a slippery slope. Anyway - - there’s a new project, and I’ll be talking about it here, soon.
Anyway, thanks for reading this. More anon.